Background

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Summer Vacation Days 1 & 2

This year our family of five decided our summer vacation would be to Beaufort, South Carolina. Why Beaufort you ask? Well, my Aunt Margaret (maggie's name sake) and Uncle Ernie live there. They retired to the charming town a few years ago from Leesburg, Virginia. To understand my love for them, you have a know a little back story. When my parents divorced, my Dad moved back to Leesburg. Kim and I would spend the summers with him in that town. We had so much fun in the summers. We spent A LOT of time with my Aunt and Uncle and their two kids, Robert and Tracy. For several summers, we lived with them. I took what all they did for us for granted. Now that I'm a mother (of three) I understand the sacrifices they made for us each summer. Thanks guys, thanks so much!

Aunt Margaret has always been like my second mother, and I love her. 
So, when she e-mailed and asked us to come to a family reunion, I knew I wanted to do everything possible to make it. Luckily, Matthew was able to go that week too. We decided to drive since plane tickets x 5 are so expensive. We decided to rent a mini van, load up and head out. We would be meeting AM, UE, Rob and his son Aaron, Tracy and her son Jared, Dad, Kath, Katie, Dave, Melissa and their daughter Savannah.

The kids did wonderful on the drive. I had many, many secret weapons to use as distractions and amazingly I only had to use a few. Thank the Lord for DVD players in vehicles!! We passed through seven states in all. The kids loved hearing about the new states as we made the trek to the southeastern part of the country.

When we pulled into town, this view was everywhere. Spanish moss elegantly dangling out of trees that surround adorable houses.   


The first night we ate a lovely dinner and got to visit with AM, UE, my cousin Rob and his son, Aaron.  It was actually the first time I got to met Aaron. What a wonderful, well-behaved child. He was a lot of fun throughout the week! Smart, handsome and peaceful... a perfect combo of his Mom and Dad!

The next morning the guys (matthew, UE, rob and spencer) went to play golf. AM took the rest of us into town. Beaufort's annual Water Festival was happening the week we were there. Yay! This day we headed to watch the trick skiers.


Aaron and "Oma." By the end of the week, my kids were calling AM Oma and Aaron was calling her Aunt Margaret! ;-)


The only thing missing in this picture is two cups of coffee, a newspaper and a handshake.


Like a scene out of jaws, I was waiting on a shark to come up and snatch one of these young ladies. (Have I mentioned I have anxiety!) We got to see water skiers do flips and jumps and fly off a ramp and body pyramids. It was cool and there were no sharks!


Day 3: Rob headed home. They are in the process of buying a new house in DC. Luckily, Aaron got to stay. Him and Spencer became pretty good buddies.
In the afternoon the men/boys and I went fishing on a pier over the ocean. Since there was a chance of rain, we weren't able to take the boat out.


This is what they use to raise and lower the boats into the water. UE houses his boat in this storage yard until he's ready to go out on the water. This machine looks like a giant fork lift to me.


Daddy showing the boys how to cast.


UE doing all the hard work. He almost caught a little shark from this pier, but it got away... for real.












This kids view on life makes me proud. He's such a happy, fun, spunky kid and he had a great time on this trip. Here he is singing and prancing on the pier. Oh do I love him.


More pics of the rest of the trip coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment