Background

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Football Mom

I can't stop my heart from beating like a drum. Spencer is a football player. 


He's the quarterback on offense and safety of defense. The action out on the field makes me feel strange. Maybe it's because my little baby, our first born, is leading the team. The first time I heard his voice - as masculine as an 8 year old can get - call a play, "Down, Set, HUT"tears sprung to my eyes. The second game wasn't any easier. I'm not sure if I'll get used to this feeling. I have no control over what will happen. When he runs to hand the ball off, will he muff the ball? When he arches back to throw it, is there enough protection for him so that he doesn't get smeared? Will parents yell if there is a mistake? If they do, will I be able to control myself from an unpleasant reaction? And mostly, will my baby, the one on his knee in the middle of the huddle being the team leader, be okay?  


Seriously, I'm crying as I write this. Spencer is getting big. It's a hard realization. I'm so proud that he has taken an interest in football. It's a perfect time of year too... Daddy gets to help coach. That makes me feel a little more secure. He chose to be #81 - a nod to his Dad's college football number. When they were picking out numbers, he asked Matthew what his number used to be. When Spencer found out it was #81, he was set on that number. I know it pulled a heart string in his Daddy. A proud moment for sure.


His first game was Saturday. This is the first play of that game. A hand off with the running back going to the right side. It was a successful hand off. I think that play calmed Spencer's nerves. After the game he told me he had butterflies in his stomach really bad. He comes by that rightly. As a kid when I used to play softball for my Dad, on the way to every game Dad and I would talk about my butterfly nerves. Matthew helped calm him down, just like my Dad used to help me. 
The last time my Dad helped me with the butterflies was when he walked me down the isle. He tried to make sure I kept breathing so I wouldn't faint. That was scary. This is scary too.


#81, the second.


He took his first career sack, and held on to the ball.


Game #2 was Sunday afternoon. It was a makeup game from yesterday. Storms moved in quickly and the rain lasted all day causing the cancellation. Here's Daddy making sure his little QB is prepared. 


Go get 'em Spence!


The cheer squad. Aunt Allison and little sis, Miss Priss, perched on the cooler, munching on her Cheetos. It's a rough life she leads. 


Evan practicing his punts to Jack who was down field.


This child warms my heart. I am proud to be called his mother. I'll always be his biggest fan!


I love you Spencer T.


Go Cowboys!

No comments:

Post a Comment