I just heard the first of what I assume will be many stories about my kids "liking" one of their friend's siblings. Follow me?
Tonight after reading Spencer a story, we were snuggling and talking - our alone time (which I CHERISH!!). He explained to me that today at school he told one of his classmates, we'll call her "K" how his little sister (Maggie) has a crush on her little brother "R." Spencer told "K" that Maggie had been talking about "R" the night before and told Spencer he is her boyfriend and that she is in a crush with him. "K" then told Spencer how her brother "R" was talking about the girls in his class last night and how he was in love with one of them. But apparently "R" wouldn't tell "K" which girl it was. So "K" was glad that Spencer told her who "R" was in love with, even though she thought it was gross that her brother liked a girl. Then our conversation got even better.
Spencer: "Mom, then I told K, 'hey wouldn't it be funny if R and Maggie went "lip-to-lip?"
Me: "Went what?"
Spencer: "You know... lip-to-lip. Do you know what that means Mom?"
Me: "Um, no." (wanted to hear the explanation and logic of an 8-year-old)
Spencer: (whispers) "You know, if they kissed."
Me: "Oh, ok. Kiss. I don't think that would be appropriate for Kindergarteners to be kissing. It's quit a bit too young for that. Have you ever gone 'lip-to-lip' with someone?"
Spencer: "NO, Mom. Well, just you and Daddy, and like my family."
Me: "Well tell me when you feel like you want to go lip-to-lip with someone, okay? I'll give you some pointers."
Spencer: "Eeew, gross! I'm not going to tell you that. Plus what kind of advice can YOU give me? You're a GIRL!"
Me: "Trust me, son. I can be a wealthy of knowledge for you one day."
Spencer: "I think I'll stick with Daddy."
I love this boy. He is such an honest, charming young boy. I'm so glad he's going to have Maggie's back and I know she'll have his too. I can only imagine the conversations like this we will have over the years with these two. And when Evan gets in the mix, look out ladies... and Mom's and Dad's. I just hope Matthew and I can instill in each of them the proper way to treat someone they have feelings for and the understanding for the way they should be treated by that person as well.
May the good Lord bless Matthew and I with the strength, courage and wisdom to handle all that we have coming as the kids deal with love and emotions. That we help them mature into young adults with the strongest of moral compasses. And that when they find someone they do want to go 'lip-to-lip' with, we've given them the tools to deal with all that follows when that train has left the station. We have a lot of work ahead of us. I think I need a lip-to-lip with my man, now. Good night.
No comments:
Post a Comment