I totally embarrassed my oldest when I ran out the door in my "ugly robe" this morning. Here's the story.
The ugly robe is an XL, white, sleeveless, gross robe that I bought when I was pregnant with Maggie. She was born in July and so I was one hot momma all summer long. The ugly robe saved me that summer. I wore the robe like a mumu around the house. It was giant (of course, so was I). It was cool (not like phat cool... like physically cool) and unfortunately, it was ugly... for real. But at the time, I didn't care what it looked like, the ugly robe got the job done. It was my friend.
Unfortunately for my husband, and apparently now my kids, the ugly robe still is my friend. I wear it in the mornings after the shower and as I get ready for work. This morning as I was packing the kids' lunches, I heard our trash truck making stops on our street. Like a good wife, I called to Matthew to make sure he'd taken it out. He hadn't taken it to the curb so here he came... running through the house to the front door only to see the trash truck two houses down the block. He turns around and says, "Sorry babe, we missed it. We'll just have to catch him next week."
Thinking to myself, there's no room for a week's worth of trash in the bin I said, "Well stop him!" Like a true man... he runs to our room to grab his shoes. Like a true woman, I run right out the front door - barefoot, ugly robe and all. Luckily my frantic running and waiving caught his attention. About the time I stepped in the mud to get to the trash bin here comes my knight in shining armor, to the rescue. He giggled at my sight and then wheeled the trash the rest of the way.
At this point, the kids were at the front door laughing at me too. Maggie said, "Mommy, that was hill-air-eeee-us." Evan just wanted to escape the house to go play outside and Spencer... well, apparently I was a huge embarrassment to him. He said, "Mom... did you really just go chase the trash truck guy in your UGLY ROBE? I can't believe you did that. Do you think Aiden saw you?" Aiden is his buddy who lives next door. I said, "No honey - I don't think so." Then he relaxed a little.
Geez... If I remember correctly from my childhood, my motherly antics are only going to get worse and more embarrassing or my kids. Sorry kids. Sorry Matthew, too!
I'll be sure to keep the ugly robe around for when Spencer brings his first girlfriend over for dinner. I think that sounds like a great plan.
No comments:
Post a Comment