This is a confessional blog. I'm a sports crier.
I am reminded by this as I sit here watching the ESPN College Gameday show which is being broadcasting from Norman today as OU prepares to take on Notre Dame. I teared up and the Big and Rich music show open. Really? Really. How lame is that. I can't help it, am a sports crier... especially when it relates to anything Oklahoma sports. I am proud and loyal... and proud.
I went to college at the University of Oklahoma during the years when our athletic program was in the tank. Our basketball team was marginal, so was baseball and our football team was terrible. But that didn't stop us from camping out for tickets to games and cheering loud and proud from the student section. Sidebar: The year after I graduated OU brought in Bob Stoops, the next year - he won his first National Championship. At every kickoff, I cried. When we sang the school anthem after the games, I cried.
Now that I'm older... it's worse. I take my kids to the games, and when we walk into the stadium, I cry. The pre-game video on the jumbo tron, I cry. When I'm not at the games and we are watching the pre-game shows like Gameday and I watch a story about OU, I cry. I watch a story about an Oklahoma State player and I cry. I watch a story about K-State's Bill Snyder, I cry. When I watch other sports shows with Matthew, I cry too. It's bad.
And don't even get me started on the Thunder. In the short time the team has been in Oklahoma, they've built a legion of loyal followers. As I anxiously await the season home opener next week, I'm preparing to cry at least once. It's terrible. Why do I do that?
I think it's because I.Love.Oklahoma. I'm so proud to be an Oklahoman. We are pretty damn awesome. We know how to be fans. We know how to show support for our teams. We know how to work hard, never give up and eventually... we win. In sports and in life.
Oklahoma is awesome... now I'm crying.
BOOOOOOOOMMMEEERRRR!
Am I the only sports crier or what?
No comments:
Post a Comment