I'm pausing from my evening to write this down. This is for you Dad! This just happened.
Matthew was grilling in the back yard. Evan was playing basketball, dunking on his little tykes goal. Spencer was in his baseball jersey, practicing his skills. He's been doing this for about a week now. As soon as we get home, he puts on his baseball jersey and his cleats and hits the backyard to practice. He's been practicing his sliding, hitting, catching, etc.
Tonight, I went to see what they were doing outside and Spencer yells, "Hey Mom want to throw me some pitches." I said sure, even though I was barefoot and it was 300 degrees outside. After a few hits, he asks me if I'd like to bat. Duh - of course I would! So I get up to the "plate" and get set. Spencer says, "Ready Mom?" I said, "Yeah - I'm always ready!"
What happened next is good enough to make the blog, I want to remember this! He zinged one straight down the pipe about 35 mph. I was so shocked, I didn't react. The ball sailed past me and bounced off the fence, hard. I gasped and whipped my head toward my oldest but wasn't able to say anything, from shock. Spencer looked at me, smiled, shrugged his shoulders and nonchalantly said, "What, Mom?.... You got my heater."
My Heater??? Matthew and I looked at each other, with huge smiles on our faces. This kid is hilarious and getting too, too, too big. I think he might have a future on the mound. Or he's watched The Sandlot a few too many times.
Love it.
ReplyDelete