Background

Monday, December 17, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. Actually, I never met a holiday I didn't like, but I especially like Thanksgiving. Since I've been an adult, my Dad (who lives in Kentucky) has mandated that we spend Turkey Day with his crew. Last year he took us all to New York, this year we celebrated at his house outside of Lexington.

The kids went to school for most of the day before I picked them up for our 14 hour road trip, alone! Because Matthew had to work, the four of us drove out there by ourselves. YIKES! Anyway, the day before we left, Miss Priss lost her front tooth! This is a Daddycam picture. She let him pull it between the time I left for work and the time he dropped the kids off at school and she didn't shed even one tear.
Brave kid, this one.



Since I was up so late that night getting ready for the trip, the Tooth Fairy forgot to come by our house to get Maggie's tooth. We left her a note to let her know where Maggie and her lost tooth would be that night. Good news: the Tooth Fairy DOES know how to read and DOES do hotel pickups.


The first day we drove to Missouri and stayed in a hotel. It was loads of fun driving for 8+ hours with three little ones. We sang lots of songs, ate a bunch of junk, told silly stories, watched movies (the kids, not I) and played I Spy. I also refereed many a verbal battles.

Day two was equally as fun, but not quit as long of a drive.

Here are me and my trio driving through some vicious and dense fog that lingered through three states.


And here is the terrific trio doing another thing we did lots of... playing the 'Who makes the funniest face, Mommy?' game.


And finally, we made it to the hotel where we were staying for a few days. The kids (ahem, Spencer) were a big help in unloading the truck and getting situated in the hotel room.


Here we are at Papa and Grandma Kath's ready to run around and let loose some energy.


We hung out there that evening and spent some time visiting with family. Aunt Margaret and Uncle Ernie and Tracy and Jared came up from South Carolina. Jason and Jackie drove in from Virginia Beach. Dave and Melissa and their girls came over for a bit from across town and Kim, John and Jack were also in from Oklahoma. 

Thanksgiving Day, we all donned our McDonough Family Thanksgiving shirts and settled in for a day of food, fellowship and fun! 

Oma (Auntie M) and Buddy (Jared)


Ding and Dong


Evan watching Spencer, Maggie and Jack on the gator.


Tearing it up on the farm.




Cousins


The McDonough Homestead


In the backyard gearing up to attempt a family picture.


Passing the time by flipping on Daddy.




My beautiful, youngest sister, Katie.


Jack, Aunt Kimmy and Maggie. She's really into throwing up the bunny ears.


Aunt Katie and Maggs


My cousin Tracy, letting Maggie do flips off of her. Maggie LOVES "Aunt Tracy!"



Still, just missing that one front tooth. The other one was super wiggly!



Bloody Mary stuff, to get us through the Thanksgiving morning prep work.


The kitchen area set up.


Kath, busy in her kitchen. Pretty sure she didn't leave this room all day.


Dad had a race horse running on Thanksgiving Day. 
Here are John, Jason and Dad watching the ponies run.


And, they're off....


Number 3, Sermonette's Hope was in the lead for a while... but she wasn't able to win this race.
I'm sure she'll get them next time!


Watching the race.


The Dining Room Thanksgiving set up.


Captain Curls pre-gaming on the front porch. It was a beautiful weekend, which was perfect for the kids. They spent most of their time outside, the other time was spent stomping around upstairs, sounding like a herd of elephants.


Dave and Melissa's dog may have gotten a bite or two.


Or, maybe not.



Jason, Dave and John


Jason, Dave, Kate and John


The day after Thanksgiving which was also Evan's Birthday. Here's the birthday boy before we combed his golden locks. Three years old, I can't believe it. I love this child to pieces... and I mean it. How could I not, look at him. He's perfect in ever way, even down to his rottenness!


Miss Priss


Maggie and Papa


Uncle Ernie, Aunt Margaret and Tracy


After another day of fun, Dad and Kath hosted a birthday party for Evan who was turning 3. It was a little extreme for a 3-year-old birthday party, but we all had full tummies and a nice, lengthy visit with one another that we didn't have to cook or clean up and Evan got more toys than any child should. 


We had our own little area with a fireplace perfect for Christmas pictures. Unfortunately, in my haste as the birthday boy's Mom, I didn't chose the correct setting for my camera. Dang.





All these kids are great at making silly faces... it just comes so naturally.


Grandma Kath and little Savannah


The Birthday Boy, Evan William with his Papa, William K.


His second Batman birthday cake.



Big wishes were made, and Evan did a terrific job of blowing out the candles. We made sure not to serve from the candle side of the cake as his blowing out of candles also included some spitting on said candles/cake!  


This night, we all took turns trying to talk Maggie into letting us pull her other wiggly front tooth.



Papa didn't want her tooth, just a smooch.


Katie and Kimmy


In the elevator in the way back to our room... the birthday boy getting a piggy back ride from Dad.


Big bro taking it easy on the elevator. The kids argued, every time on this elevator about who got to push the button. What is up with that? Each time I made them Germ-X... I hate elevator buttons.



We left the next morning for the drive home. I didn't take one picture, but I did finish a book and caught up with my husband about everything. The kids behaved much better with Daddy in the vehicle for the ride home. We stopped a few times for potty breaks, gas and food and made it home in about 14 hours flat. Sunday we got to rest (read, do laundry) and had a little more excitement... Miss Priss let Matthew pull her other front tooth! Just in time for Santa wishes, all this little girl wants for Christmas is her two front teeth... and also, a puppy, kitty, a baby sister and Benderoos. Lord help me.



Happy belated Thanksgiving 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment