Background

Monday, December 10, 2012

Polka Dotted Christmas Tree

While I was out and about Christmas shopping earlier this month, I ran across some colorful garland made from felt pom pom balls. The garland was lovely and I wanted it, bad. But it was too pricey to buy, especially when I knew even I could make them. So off to Hobby Lobby, and Etsy I went. I got a roll of hemp at Hobby Lobby which only cost a few bucks.


I ordered 100 2" balls in three different colors from a lady on Etsy. Price tag was $30 + a small shipping fee. She has soooo many pretty colors, it was overwhelming trying to decide... so I went with red, green and cream.


I had an old thick needle.


I tied a knot in one end of the hemp and started threading the pom poms. It was quick and super easy. I did it while watching Monday Night Football with Matthew last week. Here's what they look like thrown on the tree. 


I kept the balls about 2-3 inches apart from one another. The neat thing is they don't slide too much since the hemp I used as the string is pretty thick and coarse. I made three strands of garland which hold 33 balls each making them have 11 repeats of a red, green and cream pom pom pattern. I plan to give one to each kid when they have their own tree. I hope it's something they will like to have. 


This is one strand... the tree could really use some more, but I'll live with these three. Once we got it decorated, it looks like the tree is polka dotted in these colors and it makes me happy. Total project cost me less than $35 and an hour of time. Christmas project winning!

No comments:

Post a Comment