Background

Sunday, January 22, 2012

HE Forgives

When Matthew and I married, we agreed to raise our children in the Catholic faith. It hasn't always been easy... for many reasons, but we are following through on our promise. As such, we've been helping Spencer prepare for this second and third sacraments.

There are seven sacraments in the Catholic Church. Baptism, reconciliation, first holy communion, confirmation, matrimony, holy orders and anointing of the sick. Spencer has been baptised. Before he can make his first holy communion he had to make his first reconciliation.

For those of you who aren't Catholic, let me see if I can explain a little. Catholics believe that by the second grade most children understand the meaning of sin. Therefore, they can understand they are receiving the actual body and blood of Christ during communion.

There are many meanings behind celebrating Communion or the Eucharist. One is the acknowledgement that Jesus died on the cross so that our sins may be forgiven. The church wants the kids to understand that although we all sin, our Lord forgives us of that sin when we ask Him to. Confession (or reconciliation) is a way to ask for forgiveness from the Lord. Make sense?

During reconciliation, you confess your sins to the priest who listens, talks to you about those sins and then gives you a penance... an order or action(s) that you are supposed to do to acknowledge your sin and to receive forgiveness. First reconciliation is meant to teach children about God's mercy and forgiveness and at the same time, help them develop a healthy conscience.

This Saturday was Spencer's First Reconciliation. After getting up and ready, we headed to the church.



Spencer took his sheet to help him remember what he was supposed to say when it was time to make his confession.


"Bless me Father for I have sinned. This is my first confession, these are my sins.... "



Little sister and brother were there for support.


Wells kids. Large, Medium, Small. Their noses are exactly the same. I love it.


Shoving cereal snacks in his pocket. This was the only time his mouth was not moving. Little guy is a MESS!


Talking to his Sunday school teacher before the big event.


Spencer T. right after his first reconciliation. I promised him I wouldn't tell what he confessed (it was so sweet) and I will never break a promise with him, ever. But I will say what his penance was. He has to do something nice for his Mommy. Can't wait for that!


Cousin Jack was there to support Bubby too.

Spencer, Daddy and I are so proud of you today and always. We look forward to helping you build your own special relationship with God. We Love YOU, pumpkin pie!! 

Psalm 86:4-5 Gladden the soul of your servant, for to you, O Lord, do I lift up my soul. For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving, abounding in steadfast love to all who call upon you.

2 comments:

  1. So proud of Spencer T! Love him SO much, can't wait to see the plans God has laid out for him! What a bright future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post Kelly. Truly inspirational and so pleased your kids are being brought up in church. It's so important. Sets the foundation for the rest of their life. Hugs......

    ReplyDelete