I’ve instituted a new rule in my truck. No movie unless we’re going on a road trip. Has to be 30 minutes in the truck or longer.
I’m so sick of the kids watching the screen from the back seat with their mouths open and drool leaking down their chins. It’s not good parenting on my part.
The big kids are dealing with it fine. But the little dude hates it! He yells and screams and begs me to play a movie for him. To combat his horrible vehicle behavior I created a new “kid friendly” playlist.
I incorporated some popular songs the kids like and some not so popular ones that they enjoy. At ages 9, 6 and 3 these are song of the kids’ favorite songs on our playlist:
• Don’t Worry Be Happy - Bobby McFerrin
• Bennie and The Jets - Elton John (Evan’s favorite, he replaces Benny with Evie and it makes me giggle everytime. e, e, e, evie and the jets.)
• Hey Ho - The Lumineers
• Everything at Once - Lenka
• Home - Phillip Phillips (Spencer’s favorite, he calls it “the Olympic song”)
• How He Loves Me - David Crowder Band
• Maggie May - Rob Stewart (obviously a personal favorite and it’s growing on Maggie, although she gets really embarrassed when Matthew and I sing it to her)
• Some Nights - FUN.
• 1234 - Fesit
• Come Though Fount of Every Blessing - Sufjan Stevens
• You Are My Sunshine - Elizabeth Mitchell
• Liza with a Z - Liza Minnelli
• Tony Chestnut - Michael and Jello
• The Lion Sleeps Tonight - The Tokens
• Could You Be Loved - Bob Marley
• Ava Maria - Beyonce
• What a Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong
• Free - Zac Brown
• Fireflies - Owl City
• Big Green Tractor - Jason Aldean
• Call Me Maybe - Carly Rae Jepson
• We Are Never, Ever, Ever Getting Back Together - Taylor Swift
• Intergalactic - Beastie Boys
• Green Eyes - Coldplay
• Healing Begins - Tenth Avenue North (they call this one, Mommy’s work song since we use it in our commercials)
• How Great Thou Art - Carrie Underwood
• Amazing Grace - Susan Boyle
As you can see, I’m all over the board on this music grouping… but it works for my kids, even Mr. I-Want-To-Watch-A-Movie-Every-Time-I-Get-In-The-Truck. Right now they are hung up on “Everything at Once” and “Don’t Worry Be Happy.”
What songs do your kids love? I’d love some help building up a new list!
No comments:
Post a Comment