Background

Monday, April 15, 2013

Letter to My Wild Child, E-Dub.

Evan,

You are my wild child. You always have been and I'm pretty sure you always will be, and I love you so much for that! Your personality, your zest for life and your comedic timing are all incredible.

Since you became mobile you've been exploring the world around you with not a single ounce of fear. You rarely walk. Your preferred method of transportation is running... curly blond locks flopping as you take each step. I'm pretty sure your goal has been do everything all the big kids do, but do it in a faster, more full throttle version. The Evan Wells way.

In your short life, I think you've had more bumps and bruises than your older brother and sister combined. Amazingly (thanks be to God) you've always jumped right back up, dusted yourself off and gotten back into the action.

One day you'll understand how you keep us on our toes. Having you around when Maggie is in dance has been a hoot. Pretty sure the dance studio has not had a more boisterous little brother around before. And at Spencer's baseball games, forget-about-it! You are a Mess (capital M).

I know it's hard for you to sit still. And what 3-year-old wants to watch a baseball game? I understand that you would rather run free than sit in the bleachers. I learned this the hard way last season when at your brother's games you:

A) Rode the water fountain like a horse while yelling, "Mommy, Wook... YeeHaw!"


B) Decided to walk around the park with your pants down, representing my alma matter exceptionally well.


C) Brought the "noise to the field" and refused to wear your shoes.


D) Ran to an empty set of bleachers after telling me, "I need to west, Mommy."


E) Chalked with your sister while wearing her pink princess sunglasses. You loved those sunglasses way more than your boy ones.


Needless to say, you developed a little "fan club" at those games last year. Like you have done from birth, you entertained quite well. I've learned to embrace your personality. Why try to change the charming little thing you are. Wild or not... you are precious and I LOVE YOU!

When this season of Spencer's baseball games came around, I knew I could expect some new baseball field escapades from you. And already early on in the season, you have delivered.

Last week Spencer was playing short stop. I was watching the game along with Daddy, Papa, Uncle John and Aunt Kimmy while you, Maggie and Jack played behind us. You three were having a blast running, playing chase, giggling and the like. But then, you three discovered a way to actually get onto the field behind us. You figured out how to maneuver through a loose part of the fence. The fence was disconnected at the top, so it would sway and bow down when climbed upon allowing the climber to enter into the field.

When we saw what you all were doing, we told you to get out of the field and to come back on our side. Jack made it back over just fine. So did Maggie. They came running over, not wanting to get in trouble. That left you to venture back across the fence solo.

You pulled the fence down and started crawling. Since it was loose on the top, it acted almost like a trampoline... bouncing and swaying you back and forth, up and down. You were holding on tight! So I started walking over to help you. Before I knew it, you had crawled past the point of return and you were sliding slowly down the fence until... you got stuck. Your jeans got caught on part of the fence and left you hanging upside down, with your underroos showing. You were saying, "Help me Momma" through your laughs. I almost doubled over in a fit of laughter. My eyes were cyring.

You were in NO harm, so I grabbed my phone and took a quick picture of your self-induced upside down situation.


This is classic YOU! I'm so glad I took this picture before rescuing you. Now you'll forever know what a little stinker you were. I hope, through the years, this picture (and daddy and I too) helps encourage you to take chances, keep living with no fear and to explore beyond your comfort zone whenever and where ever possible. Safely, of course.

I love you always!
Mom

2 comments:

  1. I love this letter to you sweet and certainly wild man Evan! It's awesome. You will all love reading it years from now, I'm sure! It's inspiring me to write the letters I've been drafting in my head, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last picture is superb, truly superb. I can't get over it.

    ReplyDelete