Background

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

And the Spring Craziness Begins

Spring is almost here! I can't wait. I love the longer sunlit evenings, the warmer temperatures, the happier kids. I enjoy seeing more people out and about in the neighborhood. I even noticed today that my hydrangea is budding for the 7th year in a row! (We planted it when I was pregnant with Maggie).

At our house as Spring is always a welcome season. But, with it, the craziness of our year begins.

Maggie's dance practice continues on Monday's leading up to her recital in May. She has really blossomed at dance this year. She enjoys it much more than she did a few years ago when stage freight had a great big hold on her. This time around, she is having fun. She even practices a few short moves for us in the living room on occasion. We got a sneak peak at her costume this week and boy did she smile when she saw it! I don't mind it either because it is appropriate for a 6-year-old little girl, covers all that needs to be covered. And, it sparkles... just like my girl!

Spencer began baseball practice. First time in the kid pitch league! That means he is getting old. It makes me emotional when I realize how fast he's growing. It makes me have a twinge of guilt too. Am I being the best mother I can be to him? Am I doing a decent job of nurturing him at this age? Treating him with kid gloves when needed and yet allowing him the freedom he must have to be the young man he is quickly becoming? This age, 9, is tough. One minute he wants me to understand he'll be fine playing outside, the next he wants to snuggle with me and bugs me to rub his back and play with his hair. And every night I still get to tuck him in and give him a goodnight kiss and hug. He's still my baby boy, but not for long. If you need proof, just ask his Daddy who, after practice tonight, took him to the sporting goods store to get his first cup. Or as Spencer so eloquently termed it a "gonad protector." When they returned from the store, I was kicked out of the room while Matthew taught him how to use it. Then they needed to make sure it worked, so Spencer came into the living room and said to me, "Hey Mom, watch this..." (and he knocked on the 'gonad protector' and laughed until he lost his breath.) Another lovely trait he learned from his Dad. Anyway, baseball will be good.

Evan... oh my little Evan. In a few short weeks he will start soccer with some buddies from his preschool. This will be his first official sport. I can not wait to see how he takes to it. I have no doubt he will love it and most likely be pretty darn good. He's been running, kicking, yelling, moving, wiggling and any other action verb you can think of since birth. It will also be fun to be on a team with other kids we know and love, their parents too!

Then there's Matthew and the Thunder! Once the playoffs start in mid-April, my single mother of three duties begin. Fingers crossed they last through the finals in June and we win our first Championship. Thunder Up! During this time, I may need some date nights with my girls. I must maintain sanity in some form or fashion. Time with friends always works for me! Either that, or I could hide in my closet with a good book, a Dr. Pepper and my snuggie.

And just to make things fun, we're going to put our house on the market and build a new one. Fun!

Dear Lord, grant me the serenity...

So my point when I started this post was to add a picture from my phone. One I snapped as we all got home for the evening. It pretty much sums up what our life (and dinner) will be like for the next few months.


Anything we can grab and go or heat and eat! Maggie and Spencer had two eggs, over medium and two pieces of toast. They were still hungry. So Maggie ate a slice of left over pizza. Spencer had a bowl of left over spaghetti. Then on to an ice cream sandwiches. Evan, the little turkey, would only eat cheese and crackers and yogurt. I made some eggs for Matthew and I grabbed a cutie. Maybe this will be my trick to lose weight. Simply run out of time to eat... it has the potential to be quit effective, I think.

I'm ready to get the winter laziness worked out of our bones. This Spring, my goal is to enjoy our time together in motion more and complain less, especially about the laundry which mounts at alarming speed. To make this happen, I will have to let go of some of my overbearing control issues.  That will be the hardest part. Wish me luck!



No comments:

Post a Comment