Background

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Daughter-Daughter Dance

Maggie and Matthew attended their first Daddy Daughter dance this month. It was something fun the two of them looked forward to for a while. If was made even more special when Aunt Allison agreed to come up from Ada to "make Maggie beautiful." As if she needed any help. 

Here are a few pictures from their pre-dance party prep.




Daddy walked in the room and got this huge smile from his date. I LOVE this picture of our little girl. 


Showing off her new special earrings.



Thanks Aunt Allison for the special touches!


Posing for me before they left.

She's a lucky daughter. He's a lucky Daddy. 


I asked Matthew to write a blog about the night. Here are his memories.

So a week ago Saturday was one of those days I have been looking forward to as a father, for the last six years. It was my first Daddy Daughter Dance. I didn't know what to expect, but I knew it was going to be a wonderful bonding experience with my beautiful Maggie. Plus, I was excited about beginning the process of showing her how she should expect to be treated when out on a date... MUCH LATER IN LIFE.

She was really excited when Kelly and I told her the good news. We borrowed a beautiful blue dress from some friends for Maggie and I wore my dark navy suit. We jumped in the car after a few pics with Mommy and headed off for the Embassy Suites in Norman. As we we're getting close she said, "Daddy, I'm getting nervous." I told her I was nervous too, and that we had nothing to worry about.

As we pulled in the parking lot, my eyes were instantly drawn to one of three limos in the parking lot. They were full of dads and daughters. One was a stretched Ford Excursion Hot Pink Limo! I immediately thought, 'What have I gotten myself into?' 


After grabbing our tickets, we hit the dance floor. I can't remember the first song, but I won't forget the second one they played. It was Michael Jackson's Thriller. As I transformed back into my 14 year old self at the high school talent competition, I immediately heard a small sweet voice yelling, "Dad, knock it off. You need to tone it down."  Yes, that happened. She told her Dad in the first five minutes of the dance to tone it down. So, I regrouped and kept it simple for her sake. She saw two little girls she knew from school and was really excited. 

We danced fast, we danced slow, we did the YMCA and the Chicken Dance. My favorite moment was when Beyonce's 'All the Single Ladies' song came on. My girl started imitating Beyonce's moves with a hand on her hip and the other high in the sky, flipping her wrist. I nearly fell over when I saw her bust that one out!  Another fun moment was the first time I twirled her. I must have done it a thousand times after that. I don't believe she stopped smiling all afternoon.

I held it together fairly well, until one of those stupid, slow country songs came on. The one about the guy losing his daughter because she is growing up and "Poof, sheeee's gonnnne!" There was a line in it about him dancing with her at her wedding, and it hit me like ton of bricks. I panicked a bit, but kept it together. 

While we were there we also grabbed some snacks and drinks. We sat and talked for 20 minutes over chips and red Kool Aid. Then we hit the dance floor for the last couple of songs. An hour and a half later, year one Daddy Daughter dance was in the books.

We had a great time. All in all, there is no question where I will be next February. It was a great event, but the most magical moment came on the drive home after getting ice cream. From the backseat I heard, "Daddy, this was the best day of my life. Thank you."

I knew Mags was special the first day I held her, I just had no idea how incredible having a daughter was going to be. This was first of many wonderful dances I hope to have with my little girl. I thank God for letting me be her Father.

5 comments:

  1. Awww..... what a sweet read! She looked beautiful (as she always does!)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice memories...daughters are my personal favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely precious!! Your family is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it guys!! So great. I can't wait until I get to do this with Paige! Mental note: Keep the inner thriller contained. But, if for some reason they roll with "Bust a Move"...no promises. - Roomie

    ReplyDelete